Our new website

Wednesday 19 December 2012

How does men’s style differ in Hong Kong from London?

I was asked this question a lot whilst in Hong Kong, now that I am back in London, let me explain the difference I noticed. As soon as I touched-down in Hong Kong (in mid June 2012) it was scorching hot and very humid. So instantly I was looking around to see what everyone was wearing, and it was so interesting to see the differences compared with London.

The climate in Asia plays a big part in influencing the different styles. I mean, for most of the year in HK, forget layering, which is a style I love on men! In Hong Kong you see more cotton, linen and bright pop colours. I guess the sun is out so you want to dress in brighter colours, which in turn looks like Hong Kong men have more fun with their fashion.

Londoners, don’t shoot me for this, but there was definitely more inspiration there. I noticed a much wider scale of colours, fabrics and accessories are used. Don’t get me wrong, you see great styled men in London, but they are still more reserved in their style choices. It tends to be 20-30 year olds that experiment with fashion over here.

In Hong Kong, however, you can literally get any aged guy rocking a coloured sole shoe, matching belt, watch and a fab deconstructed linen jacket. The attention to detail in HK is on point, and extremely considered.  From the placket on the shirt to the pocket square in their right breast pocket.

However saying that, I look forward to styling the London men once more!

Hong Kong

London

No comments:

Post a Comment